Press Releases

Washington, D.C. – U.S. Senators Dean Heller (R-NV) and Catherine Cortez Masto (D-NV) today introduced a bipartisan resolution memorializing the victims of the mass shooting in Las Vegas, on October 1st, 2017. The resolution, which can be found here, also recognizes the bravery of all first-responders, law enforcement officials, and emergency medical technicians on the scene, as well as the countless staff at local hospitals and hotels who assisted in the response.

“As our state mourns the horrific tragedy in Las Vegas earlier this month, we continue to pray for the victims, their families and their loved ones. I’m extremely grateful for all of the first-responders, law enforcement officers, medical staff, and heroes in the crowd who ran toward violence and chaos that night in order to help,” said Heller. “From driving the wounded to hospitals to shielding strangers from incoming fire, the heroes who emerged during that awful night demonstrate humanity at its very best. The support, well wishes, and prayers flowing into our community has been second to none. As our state grieves, let us remember that Nevada is strong, it will remain strong, and we will recover together.”

“The victims, their families, and the Las Vegas community will bear the scars of October 1st for years and decades to come, but we also take comfort in the fact that there are many heroes among us – first responders, law enforcement, civilian bystanders, medical professionals, hotel security and staff, community organizers, volunteers and donors – who rose to the occasion and did everything they can to help,” said Cortez Masto. “I am grateful for the tremendous outpouring of financial, physical, and emotional support to our grieving community, and I take pride in the resilience and strength that Las Vegas has shown. We will never forget the lives of those who were taken away too soon, and the heroism that emerged out of that night.”

Full text of the resolution can be found below:

Whereas, in the late hours of Sunday, October 1, 2017, a 64-year-old man from Mesquite, Nevada, killed 58 individuals and wounded more than 500 innocent individuals in a horrific attack at the Route 91 Harvest festival in Las Vegas, Nevada, with more than 22,000 individuals in attendance;

Whereas President Donald Trump called the attack an act of pure evil and said that unity cannot be shattered by evil and that the bonds between the people of the United States cannot be broken by violence;

Whereas the attack is the deadliest mass shooting in the modern history of the United States;

Whereas the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department and other law enforcement professionals within the city of Las Vegas and Clark County, Nevada, including emergency response teams from Henderson and North Las Vegas, the Nevada Department of Public Safety, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, the Department of Justice, the Department of Homeland Security, military service members and veterans, ambulatory services, and other emergency and health care professionals responded to the attack bravely, admirably, and in a coordinated manner, saving many lives;

Whereas doctors, nurses, paramedics, and other medical professionals worked around the clock under harrowing circumstances to provide life-saving care for hundreds of victims;

Whereas, during the attack, countless civilians selflessly assisted victims and, following the attack—

(1) hundreds of individuals stood in long lines to donate blood for those who were injured in the attack; and
(2) the people of Las Vegas, the State of Nevada, and the United States expressed overwhelming financial, physical, and emotional support for the victims and the families of the victims;

Whereas local organizations, businesses, and caregivers came together with Federal, State, and local government agencies to support the victims and help the community heal; and

Whereas Nevada has a vibrant and renowned tourism economy that will continue to thrive, attracting and welcoming millions of visitors from across the United States and internationally, and emergency management officials will diligently dedicate local and Federal resources to boost public safety and security in Las Vegas, Nevada: Now, therefore, be it

Resolved, That the Senate—

(1) condemns the horrific attack at the Route 91 Harvest festival in Las Vegas, Nevada, on October 1, 2017, in which 58 innocent individuals were killed and more than 500 innocent individuals were injured;
(2) honors the memory of the victims killed in the attack and offers heartfelt condolences and deepest sympathies to the families, loved ones, and friends of the victims;
(3) expresses hope for a full and speedy recovery by, and pledges continued support for, those who were injured in the attack;
(4) offers compassion to those who attended the event, but were not physically injured, and are dealing with symptoms of post-traumatic stress or seeking grief counseling;
(5) recognizes the spirit and resilience of the Las Vegas and Nevada communities; and
(6) applauds the dedication and bravery of local, State, and Federal law enforcement and counterterrorism officials and emergency medical and health care professionals for their coordinated efforts in responding to the attack, securing the community, and providing treatment.

###

Pursuant to Senate Policy, petitions, opinion polls and unsolicited mass electronic communications cannot be initiated by this office for the 60-day period immediately before the date of a primary or general election. Subscribers currently receiving electronic communications from this office who wish to unsubscribe may do so here.